Monday 9 April 2012

I can't believe it's over!

The spoils of 12 halfs, good thing I didn't have to wear them all running.

This blog entry has taken a while - partially I think because I don't want this experience to be over. But it is so here goes.
Ready to go, keeping warm inside until start time

Running buddies ready to run.

The race: April 1st was fittingly the day for the Fool's run from Gibsons to Davis Bay. The weather was a little chilly to start, overcast, with a little residual snow and slush on the ground. The course was the Fool's run course that we all know and love (or hate, or love and hate), a little up, a little down, more up, more down more up, more up, and finally that nice long downhill stretch to the finish. Coach Newton had provided great guidance for running this training event (not a race, just a training run), in the excitement of the downhill start, and despite Nicole's repeated comments that we're going to fast, we (or more specifically I) didn't follow the advice. While Nicole was able to keep up with Christine, round about km 15 or so I was done it, those last hills were walked and much thanks for Nicole waiting for me at km 17 to run in those last 4. Fool's run always has great spectators along the course, including my big brother :), dragging himself out after being sick all week to see up run up King rd, and Leah, Erin and Michael who popped up here and there with great signs, music and pom poms! Oh and we can't forget Newton with his camera offering words of encouragement and taking lots of photos of all the runners (especially if they were wearing his favorite shoes). Finished off with a time of 2:23'ish, and then the fun started!
What a great sign :)

The first hill, we still look happy and still keeping up with Christine

Erin, complete with pompoms


The finish line: Wow, what more can you say about friends cheering you in, a special announcement about finishing 12 in 12, fruit, cheese, bread, meats, and 6 bottles of champagne to share with all your running buddies. The friendship, support, camaraderie of our running community is what makes me enjoy running so much. Let me see if I can actually remember who all was there: Dave (of course), my running twin Nicole, Michael the intrepid cheerer with Leah and Erin (who came just to cheer and celebrate with us), Ken (my bog buddy), Bob (widdle waddle partner), Newton (coach), Christine, Liz, Glenda, Sandra, Andy, Ashley, Marilou, Sebastien,  and more (I'm sorry I can't remember everyone....). By the time we finished our celebration they were dismantling the finish line, what a great day - oh and in typical sunshine coast fashion the sun was out and it was a spectacular day. Back to Gibsons, shower, change and off to a leisurely lunch at Smitty's Oyster bar finished the day.
Yay - the finish line!
In our highly coveted Tuesday Nighter shirts: we're an eating group with a running problem!
Running twins :)

My fav boys
Had to be the hardest bottle of champagne to open, took the collective efforts of 4 people.


On finishing this adventure: Last May, after finishing the Eugene half marathon, I had a few moments of panic as I thought "oh no, how on earth I am going to do 11 more of these". April 1st, was a very different story, now I couldn't believe this adventure was already over. 12 half marathons in 12 consecutive months is done. Now only if I could say the same for my dissertation ;)

What's next: well for the last 7 weeks Nicole and I have been rigorously following the training plan put together for us by coach Newton with the goal of getting a PB at the BMO half in Vancouver. With 4 weeks to go we are into the speed workouts, and I'm feeling confident that the hard work is going to pay off. Check back in a month to see if we succeeded. Until then, thanks to everyone, you made my last half a very very special experience, everyone should have friends like you all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment